Tuesday, July 22, 2008

time travel

Last saturday I saw My Bloody Valentine live in Madrid. One of my favourite bands ever, they notoriously lazy and unproductive: their last record was out in 1991, and the rumours that they are preparing a comeback haven't ceased ever since. (They took so much time recording their excellent Loveless that they almost bankrupted their label, Creation Records).
The concert was amazing, like being into a cloud of noise, the music I knew by heart only barely recognizable. The feeling was like being transported to England in the early nineties, to that Glastonbury festival I never went to. The light effects were very, very 1992, and the only thing missing were seeing people shoegazing...after all, the crowd was old, but maybe not enough.
  
This is what made Virginia run away from the stage...it went on for 10 minutes

Even though I would have happily paid the ticket price just to see them, I could also enjoy seeing Morrissey for the first time, and he didn't disappoint. Hot Chip were surprisingly good, one of these bands that give 250% of themselves on stage, and Mika, which was like being in a party: confetti, puppets, a circus background, and everybody dancing, jumping and having a good time.

Este va dedicado a tí, Pablo. Sorry man, I missed your birthday...

No comments: