Friday, May 11, 2007

Art

I have recently seen two excellent exhibitions. the first one is Andreas Gursky's impressive, oversized photograps at London's White Cube.

This german artist takes pictures (I guess) with a large-format camera capable of producing incredibly large positives ( a series of Formula 1 pit-stop photos were 4 by 2 meters) with great level of detail. Looking him up on Wikipedia I just learnt he hold the record for the most expensive photograph ever sold: $3.3m for his 99 cents II.


The second one is Chuck Close's amazing retrospective at Madrid's Reina Sofía. I had already seen some of his works at MoMA, but somehow it failed to impress me then (or perhaps I was too impressed by everything else in there).

He also produces extremely detailed, large-format paintings. In this case he only paints portraits, his method involving taking a photo, dividing it into a grid and then copying each cell into a large canvas.While the technical side is amazing, the most interesting part is how he manages to capture the subjects's personality as few photographers - let alone painters - can do.













No comments: